What is Ransomware attack?
First, we need to understand what is ransomware attack-
It is a malware which locks or encrypt all your data stored on your computer hard disk and the hackers demand money to unlock your data as they will provide decryption key if you send money but it is not necessary.It all depend on hackers choice.
Some Examples of ransomware are:
It is one of the biggest ransomware attacks and latest attack started in may 2017 on a large scale and within a day 230000 devices were affected with this.
It was a Trojan virus- It is any malicious computer program which is used to hack into a computer by misleading users of its true intent
What can Trojan do:
- Delete data
- copying data
- blocking data
- modifying data
- encrypting data
Some Facts about WannaCry Ransomware
- It is one of the largest cyber attacks
- The hackers demanded money in Bitcoins.
- The amount was around $300-$600
- The amount was doubled if you will not able to pay within 7 days
- over 150 countries 230000 devices were infected
- By wannaCry the hackers gathered around 90000 dollars(approximately)
- Some big companies like FedEx, Deutsche Bahn, Britain national health service etc were affected
- It was targeting only Microsoft windows operating system– Windows 8, XP, vista and older versions
Reasons for wannaCry
NSA(National security agency) of united states have some list of bugs of Windows operating system That file of NSA was leaked in a dark web of internet by a group of hackers and then the hackers designed wanna crypt ransomware by taking advantage of Microsoft Windows bugs
To counter the effect Microsoft issued patches update but many people can’t access that patches in old and pirated Windows
How To Protect Your computer?
- Downloading latest updates of patch provided by Microsoft or keeping the operating system updated
- Keeping the paid antivirus software with the latest version of security
- Never open suspicious links in Email
- Keep your useful data backed up in external hard drive
- Don’t visit unsafe and unreliable websites
- Disconnect the internet when not required
- use original windows instead of pirated
- Never download .exe attachment from your email
- Keep note the extension in ransomware is like .mp4.exe , .doc.exe etc
- Use Firewall and keep it on
- Disable remote sharing option in windows
- Use original software