It is a technique which virtually double the cores of a processor means that a quad-core processor will become octa-core and a dual core will become quad core.Basically, It is a technology introduced by Intel which allows their processor to intelligently schedule the tasks that are performed by a single core to make data processing more efficient.
Whatever process works in your CPU i.e when you browse the internet, play games, listen music etc These tasks convert into a process and process contain multiple threads.
WHAT ARE THREADS ?
- Threads are the smallest set of instruction that executes in one go
Cores execute one thread at a time but hyperthreading enables each core to run thread simultaneously from two other sources.So CPU works efficiently and faster
But many application software does not require hyper-threading. They does not take benefit of this technique and all operating system can not work on the principle of hyper-threading, so it is not necessary you will get a good performance every time it all depends on the usage.
SOME FACTS OF HYPER-THREADING
- First introduced in Feb 2002 on Xeon server processor and in Nov 2002 on Pentium 4 desktop CPU
- The physical cores in the processor remains the same
- Physical cores are better than hyper-threading
for example :- Dual core processor with hyperthreading technique will not work better than a normal quad core processor
- Increased power consumption
- Heat output is little bit more