COOKIES IN WORLD WIDE WEB
It is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored on the user computer by the web browser while the user is browsing the internet. They are designed to record user browsing activity or recording which pages are visited in past.
Some facts about cookies
- The size of cookie is less than 4 KB
- cookies files are stored in the cache memory
- It user choice to enable or disable the cookies
- Have ever wondered how a product advertisement is visible to you on any website which you have been interested in or seen previously on any other website for example: if you were searching a product on an eCommerce website and you did not buy it so the advertisement of that product will be visible to in other websites like social networking website etc. This is done with help of cookie stored on your device by the web browser
- It helps a website to present data to user in a user-friendly manner as if you visit the same website next time it can display the recommended results to the user
Why are cookies harmful?
- cookies are not stored in encrypted format
- 3rd party cookies i.e cookies from different website can leak the privacy of the user
- Your login info that you have filled can be leaked like credit card details, name, address etc
- so it is recommended to disable the third party cookies and malicious website cookies from browser settings.